I have to say, I was hesitant to mess with my banana nut bread recipe. When I brought it up to my daughter, who has grown up eating this on a regular basis she flat out said “No mommy… don’t do it.” Well I did it and she really liked this new blueberry banana nut bread recipe…
This is pretty much the same as my original Banana Nut Bread recipe aside from a few adjustments and of course the addition of yummy blueberries.
- 1 C sugar
- 1/3 C unsalted butter, softened
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 C mashed ripe bananas (~ 3 medium)
- 1 C blueberries – fresh or frozen
- ¼ C water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 2/3 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ C + 2 Tbs chopped walnuts
- Loaf or 8” x 8” pan
- Hand mixer
Here’s what to do:
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°.
- Spray bottom only of either an 8” or 9” loaf pan or an 8” x 8” square pan
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the sugar and butter. Then stir in eggs until everything is well blended.
- Add mashed bananas, water and vanilla to bowl and blend together using a hand mixer, removing any lumpy banana pieces.
- Add in the remaining dry ingredients, except for the nuts, stirring to completely incorporate.
- Lastly, fold in the blueberries and the ½ C of chopped walnuts.
- Pour mixture into pan and sprinkle remaining 2 Tbs of chopped walnuts over the top.
Baking time will vary, depending on your pan. For a loaf pan, baking time will be around 55-60 minutes. For a square pan, baking time will be around 45-50 minutes. In any case, set your timer for either 50 minutes for a loaf pan or 40 minutes for a square pan and then start checking the doneness from there. If it is not quite ready, continue to bake at additional 7 minutes intervals until a wooden pick inserted into the middle of your pan comes out without any gooey batter on it.
Hope you enjoy this yummy twist on a classic recipe – try it warm with some honey butter on it – YUM!